What Families Can Expect on Sunday
Chalice has two kinds of worship services:
- Our regular service (most Sundays) follows a predictable order of service and includes a sermon. On regular Sundays, religious education classes occur during the 9 a.m. service.
- Once a month, we have multigenerational worship services. In multigenerational worship, children remain in the chapel for the entire worship service, and religious education classes are not held. These services are designed to be experiential, with more movement, singing, and ritual than other Sundays. Nursery care remains available for younger children.
Before Service Begins:
Guardians and children should talk ahead of time about where children want to be during worship.
- Kathleen Swift, our Director of Family Ministries, is on the patio before the 9 a.m. service and can help orient first-time visitors to our Religious Education program.
- Please fill out name tags at our Welcome Table.
- Children of all ages are always welcome to remain with parents in the worship service.
- Nursery care for children between the ages of 1 and pre-kindergarten age is available in the Common Room (adjacent the kitchen) during both services. Parents may sign children into nursery care before service starts or after the “Time for All Ages” portion of the worship service.
- On regular Sundays, religious education classes for grades K-5 are held during the 9 a.m. service and begin after the “Time for All Ages” portion of the worship service.
- On regular Sundays, religious education for middle schoolers (grades 6 & 7), and high schoolers (grades 8 & 9) often begin promptly at 9 a.m. in the upstairs Youth Room.
- Please consider bringing a completed registration form with you. It helps our class leaders know you and your children.
During the Service / When Children Leave for Classes:
- On regular Sundays, children join the adults in the chapel for the first part of the worship service.
- On regular Sundays, during the 9 a.m. service, children (and caregivers) are invited to come forward to sit on the floor for the Time for All Ages, which is usually a story. After the story, children leave with the R.E. leaders to attend classes and activities. Parents are welcome to visit any class their child is attending.
After the Service:
- Retrieve your children from nursery care or from classes.
- Gather on the patio for a cup of coffee and a snack! This is a good time to introduce yourself to others.
- Please fill out a Connection Card in order to receive weekly emails about upcoming services and events.
- Children will often play on the playground after service. Parents are responsible for ensuring the safety of their children.